Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Currently a College Student at St.Lawrence College

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Play for Smiles

It was the last place I thought I would be on my Christmas Break. I was watching my little brother in Drayton on a Monday afternoon as his team and him battled other Midget Local League teams for domination and the rights to say they won the "prestigious" tournament. Before his team's final game in the B Finals, the A semis was on. Two teams were hacking and whacking away at each other and neither team had anyone who could skate worth a damn. The parents were shouting and screaming and the kids were all out for blood. 

I was disgusted. The parents were beaking back and forth and the tension was overwhelming. It was a powder-keg looking to blow up. Every hit and every goal was to "beat" the other team. Not to win as a team.. it was not to lose to the other team.


Maybe you can call me a "wussy" or any other term you can think of but really, that kind of hockey to me is sickening. When the parents want it more than the kid and the kids are only out there to prove something to Dad and Mom, I pity that. Kids shouldn't have to prove anything on the ice to their parents. 

There is more to life than just hockey. Sure, people can make one hell of a living off the game but really, you think Lil Johnny is in Drayton playing Midget Local League is going to become the next phenom of hockey? Will he go to the NHL? 
No.

Why not just keep your mouth shut in the stands and let your kid play the way he wants. Sip your Timmy's cup and cheer for goals and saves and good plays. Don't be screaming and yelling at big hits or injuries. Don't be cheering against the kids...cheer with them.


Don't get me wrong, I am all for passionate fans and I love to cheer to... but when it comes to parents "moulding" their child to hurt and play for the parent and not themselves is a crying shame. Let Lil Johnny play with the smile from the joy of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment